I have been doing IT stuff for companies of varied sizes and types for 10+ years. My experience is mainly in systems administration (SRE) and IT security. I have touched several infrastructures and done quite some programming or scripting. I try to stay on top of new technologies and practices and use them when/where appropriate. I am not bad at managing smaller projects and teams.
Selected employment history
Sr. Security Engineer at DT Pan-Net [Bratislava, 2017 - present]
- Building and operating security products (WAFs, load balancers, containers) the DevOps way.
- Building and maintaining tools (APIs, scripts, CLI tools).
- Managing projects/products.
Security Engineer at First Data [Bratislava, 2016 - 2017]
- Did full-stack administration of a large log management solution based on Splunk, syslog-ng, Linux.
- Implemented a monitoring system using Python, Perl and Bash.
- Implemented a testing environment using VirtualBox, Vagrant, Ansible.
Sr. Linux Systems Specialist at Eset [Bratislava, 2015 - 2016]
- Administered Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) servers and services running on top of them (e.g. MySQL, Postfix).
- Implemented a configuration management tool (Ansible) and some other DevOps patterns like infrastructure as code, automated testing.
System and Network Administrator at Institute of Science and Technology [Vienna, 2013 - 2015]
- Took care of Linux based infrastructure (email system, web servers, file servers, DNS) and networking.
- Built tools and automated tasks via Perl, Bash and Ansible.
- Wrote software for monitoring backups and virtual machines using MySQL and Perl Dancer.
- Started to migrate monitoring system from Nagios to clustered Icinga2 setup.
System Administrator at Kedros [Bratislava, 2009 - 2011]
- Administered internal Linux (Debian) based infrastructure.
- Setup and maintained testing environments (Solaris, RHEL, Tomcat, Oracle) in collaboration with developers and testers.
- Wrote automation scripts in Unix shell and Perl.
- Managed projects’ deliverables.
IT Auditor at Slovak Telekom [Bratislava, 2004 - 2006, 2011 - 2013]
- Performed audits in IT, networking and IT security areas (e.g. Internet facing applications security, PKI review, Security of remote access, Patch management and vulnerability assessment).
- Administered internal lab consisting of Linux servers and Cisco networking devices.
- Managed small (up to 4 people) audit teams.
LPIC-2: Linux Professional Institute Certification - Advanced Level Administration [2012 - 2017]
CCENT: Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician [2013 - 2016]
CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional [2011 - 2014]
CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate [2006 - 2009]
Cisco Networking Academy - Four semester study in computer systems networking and telecommunications [2005 - 2006]
University of Economics [1998 - 2004]
Bilingual high-school, Slovak - Italian [1993 - 1998]
Technologies and Tools
(I have used the following stuff professionally)
- Linux/UNIX: Debian, Ubuntu, RHEL, CentOS, Solaris, OpenBSD
- virtualization/cointainers: KVM, Vagrant, VMware, VirtualBox, OpenStack, Docker, Kubernetes
- artificial: Perl, Bash, Python, Go (Golang)
- natural: English, Italian, Czech, Slovak
- general: Linux networking, iptables, Cisco switches, GSM
- daemons: Apache, Bind, vsftp, OpenLDAP, OpenVPN, sshd, nginx
- configuration, orchestration: Ansible, OpenStack Heat
- monitoring: Nagios, Icinga, Zabbix, Prometheus
- big data and logs: Splunk, syslog-ng, Graylog, Grafana
- databases: MySQL, Oracle
- HA: Pacemaker, DRBD, HAProxy, keepalived
- hardware: Supermicro, HP, Ironport, Cisco, EMC, Netapp
- backups: Bacula, ZFS, rsnapshot, rsync
- editors: Vi(m), Atom, Notepad++
- documentation: MediaWiki, Confluence, MoinMoin, Hugo
- tickets, bugs and projects: RT, Jira, Redmine, Remedy, GitLab
- security: nmap, tcpdump, Wireshark, OSSEC, Metasploit
- VCS, CI/CD: git, GitHub, GitLab, TravisCI
- chatops: Slack